Developing and nurturing a Christian atmosphere and faith is our top priority. Liturgies are celebrated for the entire student body and faculty weekly throughout the school year. In addition, class liturgies may be periodically offered.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation, school-wide prayer services and class retreats form another part of the students’ faith life. Four years of service are required to graduate and receive a diploma.
SERVICE HOURS INFORMATION:
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAM AT MHS…Catholic Christian community service hours are integral to the mission of Madonna High School.
WHERE TO SERVE
- Parish/Church — You can apply the following to your service requirement: worker for parish picnics and festivals, CCD assistant, church office work, Vacation Bible School volunteer.
- Community —Service to the community at large, especially to the poor, sick, elderly and uneducated will qualify: Soup kitchens, tutoring, Big Brother/Big Sister, Lend-a-Hand, nursing homes, hospitals.
APPROVAL OF SERVICE WORK
- All hours will be performed for a non-profit charitable organization that can include: your parish, Catholic and non-Catholic charitable organizations, Junior Dons and other youth sports organizations or community organizations outside the school. All service should support the mission of the Catholic Church. See your Theology Teacher for clarification.
- Babysitting, altar serving, lawn mowing for elderly relatives or neighbors, and pet-sitting are good ways to help your community but these DO NOT count as service hours.
- Students cannot receive any form of payment or other remuneration for service hours.
- Service hours may not be earned while school is in session (e.g., school service days, art club serving at Wyngate, stuffing backpacks for Interact, etc.).
- All Christian community service must be for an organization outside of your home and not for personal relatives.This service should, in some way, make the Gospel message of Jesus Christ visible to you, as the servant, and those whom you are serving.
- All community service forms, which fulfill the minimum requirement for a student’s class year, need to be submitted to their Theology Teacher no later than Thursday, March 5 , 2020.
- If a student completes his/her service during the summer, his/her forms should be turned in to their Theology Teacher by Monday, September 9, 2019. In addition, service hour forms must be handed in within two (2) weeks (fourteen (14) days) after the completion of the service. If the service is done on multiple days the paper can contain the multiple dates, however, it must still be handed in two (2) weeks after the final date listed on the p
- Service hours may be completed for the upcoming academic year after the last day of school.
PLANNING YOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE
Service hours completed during the summer months are applied to the next school year (e.g., Joe volunteered at a Vacation Bible School from June 20-24. Those hours will be applied to the upcoming school year.)
Minimum Number of Community Service Hours:
Freshmen – 10 hours + 1 School Sponsored Retreat
Sophomores – 10 hours + 1 School Sponsored Retreat
Juniors – 15 hours + 1 School Sponsored Retreat
Seniors – 15 hours + 1 School Sponsored Retreat
Community service hours are integral to a student’s time at Madonna High School. Students who neglect to complete their service hours and return the necessary paperwork to their Theology Teacher by the March 5, 2020 deadline will be put on social suspension until the required hours have been submitted. If a student does not complete their hours by March 5, 2020 they will go to Penance Hall 10 times during the month of March, while still being responsible for completing the service hours. Students who plan to go to the prom will not be permitted to attend unless their service hours are completed. In addition, students may not receive their report card at the end of the year and seniors may not walk at graduation.
All questions pertaining to the acceptability of community service or activity please see Mr. Takats or Mrs. Granato.
RECORDING YOUR SERVICE
If a student completes his/her service hours during the summer, he/she should turn them into their Theology Teacher by Monday, September 9, 2019. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the hours of service and record the hours on the Service Hours form. Upon completing the service form, please submit to your Theology Teacher no later than March 5, 2020. If your service is performed in more than one place, you must have a form for all service hours to be added to your Community Service record. Additional forms are in the Main Office and with the Theology Teachers or can be found here: Service Hours Form 19-20.
For your hours to be added to your record, please be certain your forms are filled out completely and accurately. The record of student service hours will be maintained on RenWeb.
SERVICE HOURS POLICY FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
Any student who transfers to Madonna High School after the first day of school will have a modified expectation for service hours. If a student has completed service hours at their previous school for the current school year those hours can be transferred, a letter of verification must be sent from the sending school to the Main Office. All questions should be directed to Mrs. Granato or Mr. Takats.
- I need service hours, where can I get them?
- Community Bread Basket 748.7595
- Table of Hope 794.8010
- Joseph the Worker Church Office 304.723.2054
- Joseph the Worker School 304.723.1970
- Sacred Heart of Mary Church 723.7175
- Paul Church Office 304.748.6710
- Paul School 304.748.5225
- Weirton Christian Center 748.2353
- Hancock Co. Sheltered Workshop 748.2370
- Br/Hck Family Resource Network 748.7850
- Weirton Senior Center 748.3490
- Wyngate 723.7004
- Serra Manor/Weirton Geriatric 723.3160
- Salvation Army (Weirton) 748.4310
- What happens if I don’t get enough hours?
- If a student does not complete their hours by March 5, 2020 they will go to Penance Hall 10 times during the month of March, while still being responsible for completing the service hours. Students who plan to go to the prom will not be permitted to attend unless their service hours are completed. In addition, students may not receive their report card at the end of the year and seniors may not walk at graduation.
- I completed my service hours, what happens if I do service hours after the third quarter due date?
- Hours will be counted for the next school year.